Non-Refoulement Law in Hong Kong - Second Edition
Author: Kirsteen J Lau
Non-Refoulement Law in Hong Kong – Second Edition builds upon the substantive developments to the Unified Screening Mechanism with new chapters and a detailed compendium of non-refoulement cases in Hong Kong, providing practitioners with a more developed and multi-faceted understanding of this area of law.
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing email@example.com; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
In the four years since the publication of the first edition of Non-Refoulement Law in Hong Kong, the Unified Screening Mechanism (“USM”) has emerged from its infancy and entered adolescence, bringing challenge and change in its wake. Despite inevitable growing pains, the USM has matured into a working system with its own recognised jurisprudence.
The second edition builds upon the substantive legal framework of the last edition and synthesises the author’s significant practical experience acquired over eleven years of specialist practice in this field of law.
Of particular value to practitioners, adjudicators and judges in this new edition is the addition of a comprehensive compendium of Hong Kong non-refoulement cases spanning over a decade, covering substantive legal principles, USM procedure and the judicial review principles which frequently arise in the context of non-refoulement law. In addition, the new edition addresses the significant changes heralded by the Immigration (Amendment) Ordinance 2021 and contains essential updates to both law and practice.
Table of contents
Part I – Substantive Legal Framework in Hong Kong
1. Chapter 1: Non-Refoulement Law in Hong Kong
2. Chapter 2: The Convention Against Torture (‘CAT’)
3. Chapter 3: Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (‘CIDTP’)
4. Chapter 4: The Right to Life
5. Chapter 5: Persecution
6. Chapter 6: Other Potential Heads of Protection
7. Chapter 7: Internal Relocation Alternative
8. Chapter 8: Women, Children, LGBTI and Other Vulnerable Claimants
Part II – The Unified Screening Mechanism
9. Chapter 9: Commencing a Non-Refoulement Claim
10. Chapter 10: Stage 1 of the USM
11. Chapter 11: Stages 2 & 3 of the USM
12. Chapter 12: Stage 4 of the USM
13. Chapter 13: Judicial Review
14. Chapter 14: Evidence
15. Chapter 15: Country of Origin Information in Procedures of International Protection
16. Chapter 16: Other Matters
17. Appendix 1: Compendium of Useful Hong Kong Case Law
18. Appendix 2: Immigration Ordinance (Cap 115), Part VIIC(1)–(3)
19. Appendix 3: Immigration Ordinance (Cap 115), Schedule 1A
20. Appendix 4: Hong Kong Bill of Rights Ordinance (Cap 383)
21. Appendix 5: Important Articles: Treaties and Conventions
Butterworths Hong Kong Statutory Interpretation Handbook - Fourth EditionPublication Date: June 08, 2021HK$ 1,400.00
Judicial Review in Hong Kong - Second EditionPublication Date: June 26, 2014HK$ 2,200.00
New!Pre-orderButterworths Hong Kong Immigration Law Handbook – Fourth EditionNew!Publication Date: May 22, 2023HK$ 1,400.00